Re: cfbot update: Using GitHub for patch review

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: cfbot update: Using GitHub for patch review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jun 29, 2024 at 2:12 PM Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 at 01:13, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 29, 2024 at 1:10 AM Ashutosh Bapat
> <ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I need to sign in to github to add my review comments. So those who do not have a github account can not use it for review. But I don't think that can be fixed. We need a way to know who left review comments.
>
> I don't think Jelte was talking about moving review discussion to
> Github, just providing a link to *view* the patches there.

Totally correct. And I realize now I should have called that out
explicitly in the initial email.

While I personally would like to see that one day, getting a consensus and changing the process for whole community is a lot of effort. I didn't think (or mean) that we would move our review process to Github with this change. Sorry if it sounded like that.

While I personally would love to be able to read & write comments on a
Github PR, integrating that with the mailing list in a way that the
community is happy with as a whole is no small task (both technically
and politically).

It is not a small amount of work, I agree. But it may be a way forward. Those who want to use PR for review can review them as long as the reviews are visible on the mailing list. Many of us already draft our review emails similar to how it would look like in a PR. If the PR system can send that email on reviewer's behalf (as if it's sent by the reviewer) it will integrate well with the current process. People will learn, get used to it and move eventually to PR based reviews.

So (for now) I took the easy way out and sidestepped all those
difficulties, by making the github branches of the cfbot (which we
already had) a bit more user friendly as a way to access patches in a
read-only way.

+1.

--
Best Wishes,