Re: [doc] improve tableoid description

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: [doc] improve tableoid description
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 6:35 PM Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:

> [doc] improve tableoid description
>
> Hi
>
> Attached patch aims to improve the description of the tableoid system column [1]
> by:
>
> - mentioning it's useful for determining table names for partitioned tables as
>   well as for those in inheritance hierarchies

This looks fine.

> - mentioning the possibility of casting tableoid to regclass (which is simpler
>   than the currently suggested join on pg_class, which is only needed if
>   the schema name is absolutely required)

Mentioning casting to regclass is worthwhile but it's not performance
efficient if there are many tableoids. In that case, joining with
pg_class.oid is quite efficient. That line further suggests using
regnamespace which is not as efficient as joining with
pg_namespace.oid. But pg_namespace won't have as many entries as
pg_class so casting to regnamespace might be fine. Should we suggest
both the methods somehow?

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat