Re: Improve choose_custom_plan for initial partition prune case

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Improve choose_custom_plan for initial partition prune case
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 9:34 PM Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> wrote:

> Given the plan example:
>
> CREATE TABLE measurement (
>     city_id         int not null,
>     logdate         date not null,
>     peaktemp        int,
>     unitsales       int
> ) PARTITION BY RANGE (logdate);
>
> CREATE TABLE measurement_y2006m02 PARTITION OF measurement
>     FOR VALUES FROM ('2006-02-01') TO ('2006-03-01');
>
> CREATE TABLE measurement_y2006m03 PARTITION OF measurement
>     FOR VALUES FROM ('2006-03-01') TO ('2006-04-01');
>
> prepare s as select * from measurement where logdate = $1;
> execute s('2006-02-01').
>
> The generic plan will probably not be chosen because it doesn't reduce the cost
> which can be reduced at initial_prune while the custom plan reduces such cost
> at  planning time. which makes the cost comparison not fair.  I'm thinking if we can
> get an estimated cost reduction of initial_prunne for generic plan based on the
> partition pruned at plan time from custom plan and then reducing
> such costs from the generic plan.  I just went through the related code but
> didn't write anything now.  I'd like to see if this is a correct direction to go.

I think the end result will depend upon the value passed to the first
few executions of the prepared plan. If they happen to have estimates
similar or higher compared to the generic plan, generic plan will be
chosen later. But if they happen to be way lesser than the generic
plan's estimates, a custom plan might be chosen. What happens when we
execute plans with values that have estimates similar to the generic
plan later when we moderate generic plan costs based on the custom
plans?

If the table has good distribution of a partition key, which also
results in good distribution of data across partitions, generic plan
cost will be similar to the custom plan costs. If not that's something
we want to fix. But if there's a large data skew, probably letting the
custom plan always win is better. [1] talks about generic plan being
not chosen just because it has higher cost even though its shape is
similar to a custom plan. Leveraging that idea might be a good option.
If the custom plans produced have shapes similar to the generic plan,
stop producing those.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoZHYoAL4HYwnGO25B8CxCB%2BvNMdf%2B7rbUzYykR4sU9yUA%40mail.gmail.com

--
Best Wishes,