Re: Google Summer of Code: question about GiST API advancement project

От GUO Rui
Тема Re: Google Summer of Code: question about GiST API advancement project
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Yes, it is a different project, and we cannot run it on top of PostgreSQL directly.

Maybe we can learn from it by:
1. Study its benchmark. The benchmark used is YCSB [1], and maybe we can generate data and run queries in a similar way as YCSB in our project. YCSB already discussed the order to insert data and the distribution models of data.
2. Study how they use R-tree and GiST in their system, and perhaps we can be inspired and be able to borrow some ideas when we implement our patch.

I'm still learning the codebase of PostgreSQL and how R-tree/GiST can be implemented. Does that make sense?

[1] Cooper, Brian F., et al. "Benchmarking cloud serving systems with YCSB." Proceedings of the 1st ACM symposium on Cloud computing. ACM, 2010.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 10:44 PM Andrey Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
Hi!

> 6 апр. 2019 г., в 6:38, GUO Rui <ruig2@uci.edu> написал(а):
>
> I added more details about GiST use cases (PostGIS and ScalaGiST) in my proposal and created one more entry for reviewing other patches in the time table.

ScalaGiST is quite distant project. It is not PostgreSQL part, it is MR subsystem.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.