Google Summer of Code: question about GiST API advancement project

От GUO Rui
Тема Google Summer of Code: question about GiST API advancement project
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi, hackers,

I'm Rui Guo, a PhD student focusing on database at the University of California, Irvine. I'm interested in the "GiST API advancement" project for the Google Summer of Code 2019 which is listed at https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2019#GiST_API_advancement_.282019.29 .

I'm still reading about RR*-tree, GiST and the PostgreSQL source code to have a better idea on my proposal. Meanwhile, I have a very basic and simple question:

Since the chooseSubtree() algorithm in both R*-tree and RR*-tree are heuristic and somehow greedy (e.g. pick the MBB that needs to enlarge the least), is it possible to apply machine learning algorithm to improve it? The only related reference I got is to use deep learning in database join operation (
https://arxiv.org/abs/1808.03196). Is it not suitable to use machine learning here or someone already did?

Thanks,
Rui Guo