Re: Optmize bitmapword macros calc (src/backend/nodes/bitmapset.c)

От Ranier Vilela
Тема Re: Optmize bitmapword macros calc (src/backend/nodes/bitmapset.c)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Em seg., 29 de jan. de 2024 às 16:32, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> escreveu:
On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 01:30:47PM -0300, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> IMO I believe that bitmapset can obtain an optimization in the calculation
> of the WORDNUM and BITNUM macros.
>
> As you know, in bitmapset, negative members are not allowed.
>
> if (x < 0)
> elog(ERROR, "negative bitmapset member not allowed");
>
> Then, allow the compiler to optimize and do the calculations in unsigned.

I'm currently +0.1 for this change.  I don't see any huge problem with
trimming a few instructions, but I'm dubious there's any measurable impact.
However, a cycle saved is a cycle earned...
Bitmapset is extensively used.

-#define WORDNUM(x)     ((x) / BITS_PER_BITMAPWORD)
-#define BITNUM(x)      ((x) % BITS_PER_BITMAPWORD)
+#define WORDNUM(x)     ((bitmapword)(x) / BITS_PER_BITMAPWORD)
+#define BITNUM(x)      ((bitmapword)(x) % BITS_PER_BITMAPWORD)

I'm curious why we'd cast to bitmapword and not straight to uint32.  I
don't think the intent is that callers will provide a bitmapword to these
macros.
bitmapword It is the most correct and prudent option, if in the future,
we decide to change the number of nwords to uint64.

  I also wonder if it's worth asserting that x is >= 0 before
casting here.
I don't think this would change anything.

best regards,
Ranier Vilela

Сообщение: Re: Optmize bitmapword macros calc (src/backend/nodes/bitmapset.c)
Сообщение: Re: Optmize bitmapword macros calc (src/backend/nodes/bitmapset.c)