Re: calling procedures is slow and consumes extra much memory againstcalling function

От Ranier Vilela
Тема Re: calling procedures is slow and consumes extra much memory againstcalling function
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Em dom., 10 de mai. de 2020 às 17:21, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> escreveu:
Hi

I try to use procedures in Orafce package, and I did some easy performance tests. I found some hard problems:

1. test case

create or replace procedure p1(inout r int, inout v int) as $$
begin v := random() * r; end
$$ language plpgsql;

This command requires

do $$
declare r int default 100; x int;
begin
  for i in 1..300000 loop
     call p1(r, x);
  end loop;
end;
$$;

about 2.2GB RAM and 10 sec.
I am having a consistent result of 3 secs, with a modified version (exec_stmt_call) of your patch.
But my notebook is (Core 5, 8GB and SSD), could it be a difference in the testing hardware?

regards,
Ranier Vilela