Re: SERIALIZABLE and INSERTs with multiple VALUES

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: SERIALIZABLE and INSERTs with multiple VALUES
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Jason Dusek <jason.dusek@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I notice the following oddity:
>>
>>>  =# CREATE TABLE with_pk (i integer PRIMARY KEY);
>>> CREATE TABLE
>>
>>>  =# BEGIN;
>>> BEGIN
>>>  =# INSERT INTO with_pk VALUES (2), (2) ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING;
>>> ERROR:  could not serialize access due to concurrent update
>>>  =# END;
>>> ROLLBACK
>>
>> I don't see that on development HEAD.  What version are you
>> running?  What is your setting for default_transaction_isolation?
>
> The subject says SERIALIZABLE, and I can see it on my 9.5.4 database:
>
> test=> CREATE TABLE with_pk (i integer PRIMARY KEY);
> CREATE TABLE
> test=> START TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
> START TRANSACTION
> test=> INSERT INTO with_pk VALUES (2), (2) ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING;
> ERROR:  could not serialize access due to concurrent update

This happens in both SERIALIZABLE and REPEATABLE READ when a single
command inserts conflicting rows with an ON CONFLICT cause, and it
comes from the check in ExecCheckHeapTupleVisible whose comment says:

/*
 * ExecCheckHeapTupleVisible -- verify heap tuple is visible
 *
 * It would not be consistent with guarantees of the higher isolation levels to
 * proceed with avoiding insertion (taking speculative insertion's alternative
 * path) on the basis of another tuple that is not visible to MVCC snapshot.
 * Check for the need to raise a serialization failure, and do so as necessary.
 */

So it seems to be working as designed.  Perhaps someone could argue
that you should make an exception for tuples inserted by the current
command.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com