Re: [HACKERS] delta relations in AFTER triggers

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: [HACKERS] delta relations in AFTER triggers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 2:49 AM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Attached is v9 which fixes bitrot from v8.  No other changes.
>
> Still needs review.

This patch still applies, builds cleanly after a small modification,
includes regression tests and the tests past.  The modification I
needed to make was due to this compile error:

nodeNamedtuplestorescan.c:154:19: error: no member named
'ps_TupFromTlist' in 'struct PlanState'       scanstate->ss.ps.ps_TupFromTlist = false;

Commit ea15e18677fc2eff3135023e27f69ed8821554ed got rid of that member
of PlanState and I assume based on other changes in that commit that
the thing to do was simply to remove that line.  Having done that, it
builds cleanly.

+INSERT INTO level1_table(level1_no)
+  SELECT generate_series(1,200);
+INSERT INTO level2_table(level2_no, parent_no)
+  SELECT level2_no, level2_no / 50 + 1 AS parent_no
+    FROM generate_series(1,9999) level2_no;
+INSERT INTO all_level_status(level, node_no, status)
+  SELECT 1, level1_no, 0 FROM level1_table;
+INSERT INTO all_level_status(level, node_no, status)
+  SELECT 2, level2_no, 0 FROM level2_table;
+INSERT INTO level1_table(level1_no)
+  SELECT generate_series(201,1000);
+DELETE FROM level1_table WHERE level1_no BETWEEN 201 AND 1000;
+DELETE FROM level1_table WHERE level1_no BETWEEN 100000000 AND 100000010;
+SELECT count(*) FROM level1_table;
+ count
+-------
+   200
+(1 row)

Was it intentional that this test doesn't include any statements that
reach the case where the trigger does RAISE EXCEPTION 'RI error'?
From the output generated there doesn't seem to be any evidence that
the triggers run at all, though I know from playing around with this
that they do:
 postgres=# delete from level1_table where level1_no = 42; ERROR:  RI error CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function
level1_table_ri_parent_del_func()line 6 at RAISE

+ * Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2014, PostgreSQL Global Development Group

These copyright messages are missing 3 years' worth of bugfixes.

+SPI_get_caller_relation(const char *name)

Do we need this function?  It's not used by the implementation.  If it
does have a good use for end-users, then perhaps it should be called
something like SPI_get_registered_relation, to make it clear that it
will return whatever you registered with SPI_register_relation,
instead of introducing this 'caller' terminology?

+typedef struct NamedTuplestoreScan
+{
+ Scan scan;
+ char   *enrname;
+} NamedTuplestoreScan;

Nearly plan node structs always have a comment for the members below
'scan'; I think this needs one too because 'enrname' is not
self-explanatory.
 /*
+ * Capture the NEW and OLD transition TABLE tuplestores (if specified for
+ * this trigger).
+ */
+ if (trigdata->tg_newtable || trigdata->tg_oldtable)
+ {
+ estate.queryEnv = create_queryEnv();
+ if (trigdata->tg_newtable)
+ {
+ Enr enr = palloc(sizeof(EnrData));
+
+ enr->md.name = trigdata->tg_trigger->tgnewtable;
+ enr->md.tupdesc = trigdata->tg_relation->rd_att;
+ enr->md.enrtuples = tuplestore_tuple_count(trigdata->tg_newtable);
+ enr->reldata = trigdata->tg_newtable;
+ register_enr(estate.queryEnv, enr);
+ SPI_register_relation(enr);
+ }

Why do we we have to call register_enr and also SPI_register_relation here?

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There were a few changes Thomas included in the version he posted,
>> without really delving into an explanation for those changes.  Some
>> or all of them are likely to be worthwhile, but I would rather
>> incorporate them based on explicit discussion, so this version
>> doesn't do much other than generalize the interface a little,
>> change some names, and add more regression tests for the new
>> feature.  (The examples I worked up for the rough proof of concept
>> of enforcement of RI through set logic rather than row-at-a-time
>> navigation were the basis for the new tests, so the idea won't get
>> totally lost.)  Thomas, please discuss each suggested change (e.g.,
>> the inclusion of the query environment in the parameter list of a
>> few more functions).
>
> I was looking for omissions that would cause some kind of statements
> to miss out on ENRs arbitrarily.  It seemed to me that
> parse_analyze_varparams should take a QueryEnvironment, mirroring
> parse_analyze, so that PrepareQuery could pass it in.  Otherwise,
> PREPARE wouldn't see ENRs.  Is there any reason why SPI_prepare should
> see them but PREPARE not?

Any thoughts about that?

More soon.

--