Re: shared_buffers on Big RAM systems

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: shared_buffers on Big RAM systems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 2:17 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/runtime-config-resource.html
>
> The docs say, "If you have a dedicated database server with 1GB or more of
> RAM, a reasonable starting value for shared_buffers is 25%".
>
> But that's pretty archaic in 2018.  What if the dedicated database server
> has 128GB RAM?

I agree, we might as well drop the words "with 1GB of more of RAM".
That's the size of the very smallest cloud instances available these
days, available for free or up to a few bucks a month, and for
physical servers I wonder if you can still get DIMMs that small.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com