Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API

От Shigeru Hanada
Тема Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kaigai-san,

Sorry for lagged response.

Here are my  random thoughts about the patch.  I couldn't understand
the patch fully, because some of APIs are not used by ctidscan.  If

Custom Scan patch v2 review

* Custom plan class comparison
In backend/optimizer/util/pathnode.c, custclass is compared by bit-and
with 's'.  Do you plan to use custclass as bit field?  If so, values
for custom plan class should not be a character.  Otherwise, custclass
should be compared by == operator.

* Purpose of GetSpecialCustomVar()
The reason why FinalizeCustomPlan callback is necessary is not clear to me.
Could you show a case that the API would be useful?

* Purpose of FinalizeCustomPlan()
The reason why FinalizeCustomPlan callback is necessary is not clear
to me, because ctidscan just calls finalize_primnode() and
bms_add_members() with given information.  Could you show a case that
the API would be useful?

* Is it ok to call set_cheapest() for all relkind?
Now set_cheapest() is called not for only relation and foreign table
but also custom plan, and other relations such as subquery, function,
and value.  Calling call_custom_scan_provider() and set_cheapest() in
the case of RTE_RELATION seems similar to the old construct, how do
you think about this?

* Is it hard to get rid of CopyCustomPlan()?
Copying ForeignScan node doesn't need per-FDW copy function by
limiting fdw_private to have only copy-able objects.  Can't we use the
same way for CustomPlan?  Letting authors call NodeSetTag or
copyObject() sounds uncomfortable to me.

This would be able to apply to TextOutCustomPlan() and TextOutCustomPath() too.

* MultiExec support is appropriate for the first version?
The cases need MultiExec seems little complex for the first version of
custom scan.  What kind of plan do you image for this feature?

* Does SupportBackwardScan() have enough information?
Other scans check target list with TargetListSupportsBackwardScan().
Isn't it necessary to check it for CustomPlan too in
ExecSupportsBackwardScan()?

* Place to call custom plan provider
Is it necessary to call provider when relkind != RELKIND_RELATION?  If
yes, isn't it necessary to call for append relation?

I know that we concentrate to replacing scan in the initial version,
so it would not be a serious problem, but it would be good to consider
extensible design.

* Custom Plan Provider is "addpath"?
Passing addpath handler as only one attribute of CUSTOM PLAN PROVIDER
seems little odd.
Using handler like FDW makes the design too complex and/or messy?

* superclass of CustomPlanState
CustomPlanState derives ScanState, instead of deriving PlanState
directly.  I worry the case of non-heap-scan custom plan, but it might
be ok to postpone consideration about that at the first cut.

* Naming and granularity of objects related to custom plan
I'm not sure the current naming is appropriate, especially difference
between "custom plan" and "provider" and "handler".  In the context of
CREATE CUSTOM PLAN statement, what the term "custom plan" means?  My
impression is that "custom plan" is an alternative plan type, e.g.
ctidscan or pg_strom_scan.  Then what the term "provider" means?  My
impression for that is extension, such as ctidscan and pg_strom.  The
grammar allows users to pass function via PROVIDER clause of CREATE
CUSTOM SCAN, so the function would be the provider of the custom plan
created by the statement.

* enable_customscan
GUC parameter enable_customscan would be useful for users who want to
disable custom plan feature temporarily.  In the case of pg_strom,
using GPU for limited sessions for analytic or batch applications
seems handy.

* Adding pg_custom_plan catalog
Using "cust" as prefix for pg_custom_plan causes ambiguousness which
makes it difficult to choose catalog prefix for a feature named
"Custom Foo" in future.  How about using "cusp" (CUStom Plan)?

Or is it better to use pg_custom_plan_provider as catalog relation
name, as the document says that "CREATE CUSTOM PLAN defines custom
plan provider".  Then prefix could be "cpp" (Custom Plan Provider).
This seems to match the wording used for pg_foreign_data_wrapper.

* CREATE CUSTOM PLAN statement
This is just a question:  We need to emit CREATE CUSTOM PLAN if we want to use
I wonder how it is extended when supporting join as custom class.

* New operators about TID comparison
IMO this portion should be a separated patch, because it adds OID
definition of existing operators such as tidgt and tidle.  Is there
any (explicit or implicit) rule about defining macro for oid of an
operator?

* Prototype of get_custom_plan_oid()
custname (or cppname if use the rule I proposed above) seems
appropriate as the parameter name of get_custom_plan_oid() because
similar funcitons use catalog column names in such case.

* Coding conventions
Some lines are indented with white space.  Future pgindent run will
fix this issue?

* Unnecessary struct forward declaration
Forward declarations of CustomPathMethods, Plan, and CustomPlan in
includes/nodes/relation.h seem unncecessary.  Other headers might have
same issue.

* Unnecessary externing of replace_nestloop_params()
replace_nestloop_params() is extern-ed but it's never called outside
createplan.c.

* Externing fix_scan_expr()
If it's necessary for all custom plan providers to call fix_scan_expr
(via fix_scan_list macro), isn't it able to do it in set_plan_refs()
before calling SetCustomPlanRef()?

* What does T_CustomPlanMarkPos  mean?
It's not clear to me when CustomPlanMarkPos works.  Is it for a custom
plan provider which supports marking position and rewind to the
position, and ctidscan just lacks capability to do that, so it is not
used anywhere?

* Unnecessary changes in allpaths.c
some comment about Subquery and CTE are changed (perhaps) accidentally.

* Typos * planenr -> planner, implements -> implement in create_custom_plan.sgml * CustomScan in nodeCustom.h should be
CustomPlan?* delivered -> derived, in src/backend/optimizer/util/pathnode.c

* Document "Writing Custom Plan Provider" is not provided
Custom Plan Provider author would (and I DO!) hope documents about
writing a custom plan provider.

Regards,