Re: vacuumdb/clusterdb/reindexdb: allow specifying objects to process in all databases

От Dean Rasheed
Тема Re: vacuumdb/clusterdb/reindexdb: allow specifying objects to process in all databases
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 at 22:22, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for taking a look.  I updated the synopsis sections in v3.

OK, that looks good. The vacuumdb synopsis in particular looks a lot
better now that "-N | --exclude-schema" is on its own line, because it
was hard to read previously, and easy to mistakenly think that -n
could be combined with -N.

If I'm nitpicking, "[--verbose | -v]" in the clusterdb synopsis should
be replaced with "[option...]", like the other commands, because there
are other general-purpose options like --quiet and --echo.

> I also spent some more time on the reindexdb patch (0003).  I previously
> had decided to restrict combinations of tables, schemas, and indexes
> because I felt it was "ambiguous and inconsistent with vacuumdb," but
> looking closer, I think that's the wrong move.  reindexdb already supports
> such combinations, which it interprets to mean it should reindex each
> listed object.  So, I removed that change in v3.

Makes sense.

> Even though reindexdb allows combinations of tables, schema, and indexes,
> it doesn't allow combinations of "system catalogs" and other objects, and
> it's not clear why.  In v3, I've removed this restriction, which ended up
> simplifying the 0003 patch a bit.  Like combinations of tables, schemas,
> and indexes, reindexdb will now interpret combinations that include
> --system to mean it should reindex each listed object as well as the system
> catalogs.

OK, that looks useful, especially given that most people will still
probably use this against a single database, and it's making that more
flexible.

I think this is good to go.

Regards,
Dean