Re: Core dump in range_table_mutator()

От Dean Rasheed
Тема Re: Core dump in range_table_mutator()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 at 04:39, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Well, if we want to clean this up a bit rather than just doing the
> minimum safe fix ... I spent some time why we were bothering with the
> FLATCOPY step at all, rather than just mutating the Query* pointer.
> I think the reason is to not fail if the QTW_DONT_COPY_QUERY flag is
> set, but maybe we should clear that flag when recursing?

Hmm, interesting, but we don't actually pass on that flag when
recursing anyway. Since it is the mutator routine's responsibility to
make a possibly-modified copy of its input node, if it wants to
recurse into the subquery, it should always call query_tree_mutator()
with QTW_DONT_COPY_QUERY unset, and range_table_mutator() should never
need to FLATCOPY() the subquery.

But then, in the interests of further tidying up, why does
range_table_mutator() call copyObject() on the subquery if
QTW_IGNORE_RT_SUBQUERIES is set? If QTW_IGNORE_RT_SUBQUERIES isn't
set, the mutator routine will either copy and modify the subquery, or
it will return the original unmodified subquery node via
expression_tree_mutator(), without copying it. So then if
QTW_IGNORE_RT_SUBQUERIES is set, why not also just return the original
unmodified subquery node?

So then the RTE_SUBQUERY case in range_table_mutator() would only have to do:

    case RTE_SUBQUERY:
        if (!(flags & QTW_IGNORE_RT_SUBQUERIES))
            MUTATE(newrte->subquery, newrte->subquery, Query *);
        break;

which wouldn't fall over if the subquery were NULL.

Regards,
Dean