Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use MINVALUE/MAXVALUE insteadof UNBOUNDED for range partition b

От Dean Rasheed
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use MINVALUE/MAXVALUE insteadof UNBOUNDED for range partition b
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use MINVALUE/MAXVALUE insteadof UNBOUNDED for range partition b  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>> Did anything happen on this, or did we just forget it completely?
>
> I forgot it.  :-(
>
> I really think we should fix this.

Ah, sorry. This was for me to follow up, and I dropped the ball.

Here's a patch restoring the original error checks (actually not the
same coding as used in previous versions of the patch, because that
would have allowed a MINVALUE after a MAXVALUE and vice versa).

A drawback to doing this is that we lose compatibility with syntaxes
supported by other databases, which was part of the reason for
choosing the terms MINVALUE and MAXVALUE in the first place.

So thinking about this afresh, my preference would actually be to just
canonicalise the values stored rather than erroring out.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Dean