Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15

От Dean Rasheed
Тема Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Дата
Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15  ("Joel Jacobson" <joel@compiler.org>)
Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15  (Marcos Pegoraro <marcos@f10.com.br>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 3 Nov 2021 at 13:05, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> 2) I find this a bit confusing:
>
> SELECT non_existent_variable;
> test=# select s;
> ERROR:  column "non_existent_variable" does not exist
> LINE 1: select non_existent_variable;
>
> I wonder if this means using SELECT to read variables is a bad idea, and
> we should have a separate command, just like we have LET (instead of
> just using UPDATE in some way).

Hmm. This way of reading variables worries me for a different reason
-- I think it makes it all too easy to break existing applications by
inadvertently (or deliberately) defining variables that conflict with
column names referred to in existing queries.

For example, if I define a variable called "relkind", then psql's \sv
meta-command is broken because the query it performs can't distinguish
between the column and the variable.

Similarly, there's ambiguity between alias.colname and
schema.variablename. So, for example, if I do the following:

CREATE SCHEMA n;
CREATE VARIABLE n.nspname AS int;

then lots of things are broken, including pg_dump and a number of psql
meta-commands. I don't think it's acceptable to make it so easy for a
user to break the system in this way.

Those are examples that a malicious user might use, but even without
such examples, I think it would be far too easy to inadvertently break
a large application by defining a variable that conflicted with a
column name you didn't know about.

Regards,
Dean