Re: Math function description issue

От Dean Rasheed
Тема Re: Math function description issue
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 8 June 2016 at 00:11, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> =?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=bcrgen_Purtz?= <juergen@purtz.de> writes:
>
>> > a) In my opinion this wording is easier to understand because it avoids
>> > the negation via "not less".
>>
>> That's a fair point.
>>
>> The other difference is least/greatest versus smallest/largest.  I'm not
>> sure if using least/greatest would help the people who misunderstand
>> "smallest" as "closest to zero".  They might; but being less-common words,
>> they might also confuse people whose native language isn't English.
>> Anyone have an opinion about which to use?
>
> As a non-native, the use of "least/greatest" makes it more explicit that
> it refers to arithmetic inequality, whereas "smallest" sounds like it
> may be related to absolute value comparisons.  It's true that
> least/greatest are less common words, but that makes it more likely that
> they would be looked up in a dictionary, whereas with smallest/largest
> people might stick to intuitive knowledge and get them wrong.

Matlab just uses "nearest" for both floor() and ceil(), e.g. "the
nearest integer less than or equal to ...".

To me, that seems clearer than smallest/largest or least/greatest
because you don't have to think about which set of numbers it's trying
to exclude. When thinking about the nearest integer, you only have to
think about at most 2 possible values.

Regards,
Dean