Re: Re: Request for Patch Feedback: Lag & Lead Window Functions Can Ignore Nulls

От Dean Rasheed
Тема Re: Re: Request for Patch Feedback: Lag & Lead Window Functions Can Ignore Nulls
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 23 May 2016 at 17:01, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM, David G. Johnston
> <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How does the relatively new FILTER clause play into this, if at all?
>
> My interpretation of the standard is that FILTER is not allowable for
> a window function, and IGNORE|RESPECT NULLS is not allowable for an
> ordinary aggregate.

That may be so, but we already support FILTER for all windows
functions as well as aggregates:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-expressions.html#SYNTAX-AGGREGATES
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-expressions.html#SYNTAX-WINDOW-FUNCTIONS

so to be clear, what we're talking about here is just supporting SQL
standard syntax for window functions, rather than adding any new
functionality, right?

> So if we support IGNORE|RESPECT NULLS for anything other than a window
> function, we have to come up with our own semantics.

Given that we can already do this using FILTER for aggregates, and
that IGNORE|RESPECT NULLS for aggregates is not part of the SQL
standard, I see no reason to support it.

Regards,
Dean