Re: About page on .org site

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: About page on .org site
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Somebody really should take the time and rewrite that thing sentence by
>> sentence...
>
> Dunno about sentences.  IMO the fact that the page is a long, boring
> block of text is bad in itself.

I agree. The way that it lists limitations like "Maximum Columns per
Table" so prominently is just weird, too.

In general, the text is far too tick-box orientated. If that was how
people evaluated database systems, then Firebird would probably be
almost as popular as PostgreSQL. The actual tick-boxes are in some
cases ones that no one cares about. We certainly shouldn't list rules,
for example. And the fact that we list things like having a Python
driver suggests that it would not be preposterous if we did not have
one. The about page also mentions HP-UX in the second sentence.

Some of the features listed there are pretty cool, but I didn't know
that until I used them. The overall picture of how PostgreSQL is
flexible, extensible, and powerful is much more important, and could
be expressed more tersely.

Can someone with some marketing skills rewrite it?

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan