Re: Progress on fast path sorting, btree index creation time

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Progress on fast path sorting, btree index creation time
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9 February 2012 17:16, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> Yes, I am. The main reason that the loops exist in those functions
>> (which is the only way that they substantially differ) is because they
>> each have to get the other keys through various ways that characterise
>> the tuple class that they encapsulate (index_getattr(),
>> heap_getattr(), etc).
>
> Does this help all types for sorting, including strings?

Yes, it does, though of course that's not expected to make too much
difference with text when the C locale isn't used, because the
comparisons are inherently much more expensive, and there isn't a
whole lot we can do about that, at least here.