"DROP INDEX" correction

От Oto Brglez
Тема "DROP INDEX" correction
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hello people!

I'm new to this place and this is obviously my first message to you guys.

I've been using PostgreSQL for years now, deeply like it and I came to a point when I wish to give some of this love back. :)

So; I'm reaching out this mailing list - hopefully the right one - because we found a small "bug" or should I rather say missing information in the documentation.

Inside the documentation for DROP INDEX (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/sql-dropindex.html) - pointing to 9.6 version - there is no information that if you use DROP INDEX with CONCURRENTLY that you can't drop several indices at once. Meaning that this does not work:

DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY IF EXISTS my_index_one, my_index_two;

PostgreSQL itself will raise exception

PG::FeatureNotSupported: ERROR:  DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY does not support dropping multiple objects

Although this is the correct statement per synopsis.

DROP INDEX [ CONCURRENTLY ] [ IF EXISTS ] name [, ...] [ CASCADE | RESTRICT ]

Proposal.

I suggest that you add a statement/explanation under Parameters > CONCURRENTLY that would say something like

"DROP INDEX with CONCURRENTLY can only accept one index."

I hope that this message will be helpful to someone and I wish you a pleasant day!

P.s.: If I can make this recommendation in the form of a patch or something please point me in the right direction.

Regards,

- Oto Brglez

Сообщение: Re: I'm surprised to see the word master here
Сообщение: Re: I'm surprised to see the word master here