Re: Max number of WAL files in pg_xlog directory for Postgres 9.2 version

От Raghavendra Rao J S V
Тема Re: Max number of WAL files in pg_xlog directory for Postgres 9.2 version
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi John,

As you said, I have gone through the document. Which one is correct [(2 + checkpoint_completion_target) * checkpoint_segments + 1 or checkpoint_segments + wal_keep_segments + 1 files] for 9.2 PostgreSQL?

In my environment we have kept wal_keep_segments and checkpoint_segments  as below. Will it cause any negative impact?

checkpoint_segments = 128 # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
#checkpoint_timeout = 5min # range 30s-1h
#checkpoint_completion_target = 0.5 # checkpoint target duration, 0.0 - 1.0
#checkpoint_warning = 30s # 0 disables
#wal_keep_segments = 0 # in logfile segments, 16MB each; 0 disables

There will always be at least one WAL segment file, and will normally not be more than (2 + checkpoint_completion_target) * checkpoint_segments + 1 or checkpoint_segments + wal_keep_segments + 1 files. Each segment file is normally 16 MB (though this size can be altered when building the server). You can use this to estimate space requirements for WAL. Ordinarily, when old log segment files are no longer needed, they are recycled (renamed to become the next segments in the numbered sequence). If, due to a short-term peak of log output rate, there are more than 3 * checkpoint_segments + 1 segment files, the unneeded segment files will be deleted instead of recycled until the system gets back under this limit.

Regards,
Raghavendra Rao