Why are data files getting modified?

От Abhishek Bhola
Тема Why are data files getting modified?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have a table with monthly partitions, starting from 2011.
Each partition has about 2-3 billion rows and is about 40TB of data in total.
I am running a select query to \copy the data into csv files for each month.

I see there is an AUTOVACUUM job started on all the partitions that have been read (on which select has run). I am assuming the reason why Postgres is autovacuuming these large partitions is this:

"This implies that if a table is not otherwise vacuumed, autovacuum will be invoked on it approximately once every autovacuum_freeze_max_age minus vacuum_freeze_min_age transactions. For tables that are regularly vacuumed for space reclamation purposes, this is of little importance. However, for static tables (including tables that receive inserts, but no updates or deletes), there is no need to vacuum for space reclamation, so it can be useful to try to maximize the interval between forced autovacuums on very large static tables. Obviously one can do this either by increasing autovacuum_freeze_max_age or decreasing vacuum_freeze_min_age."

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/routine-vacuuming.html#VACUUM-FOR-WRAPAROUND

Please see these partition tables are static, i.e., they received data many years ago, with no updates ever.

db=# SELECT c.relname as table_name, c.relkind as type, age(c.relfrozenxid) as age, c.relfrozenxid FROM pg_class AS c WHERE age(c.relfrozenxid) <> 2147483647 ORDER BY 3 DESC LIMIT 20;
        table_name         | type |    age    | relfrozenxid
---------------------------+------+-----------+--------------
 hist_omx_orderaudit201506 | r    | 201463508 |       319891
 hist_omx_orderaudit201509 | r    | 201418497 |       364902
 hist_omx_orderaudit201205 | r    | 201142042 |       641357

autovacuum_freeze_max_age
 200000000
(1 row)

Am I wrong in my understanding why this autovacuum is getting triggered?

However, my main question is that why do the data files in the tablespace, corresponding to these partition tables (that have been read or selected recently), or the ones autovacuumed recently have a latest timestamp?

There was no insert or update on these partitions, so why do I see an updated timestamp? Does autovacuum change something on the datafiles?

Thanks

This correspondence (including any attachments) is for the intended recipient(s) only. It may contain confidential or privileged information or both. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis-transmission. If you receive this correspondence by mistake, please contact the sender immediately, delete this correspondence (and all attachments) and destroy any hard copies. You must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or rely on any part of this correspondence (including any attachments) if you are not the intended recipient(s).本メッセージに記載および添付されている情報(以下、総称して「本情報」といいます。)は、本来の受信者による使用のみを意図しています。誤送信等により本情報を取得された場合でも、本情報に係る秘密、または法律上の秘匿特権が失われるものではありません。本電子メールを受取られた方が、本来の受信者ではない場合には、本情報及びそのコピーすべてを削除・破棄し、本電子メールが誤って届いた旨を発信者宛てにご通知下さいますようお願いします。本情報の閲覧、発信または本情報に基づくいかなる行為も明確に禁止されていることをご了承ください。