Re: Is the "x ms" info reliable?

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: Is the "x ms" info reliable?
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

When I have pgAdmin, my app, and PG all running on the same machine, pgAdmin reported query times are one or two orders of magnitude slower than times for the same query reported by turning on statement logging.

Yeah, I agree with the OP. I'm pretty sure the time the query tool reports includes the display time. I didn't check in the code, but that was always my view of the time. Doesn't mean it is useless, but pretty much like it.

Inactive hide details for Dave Page ---01/19/2015 03:58:07 AM---On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:13 PM,  <hushthatbush@hushmail.com> wDave Page ---01/19/2015 03:58:07 AM---On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:13 PM,  <hushthatbush@hushmail.com> wrote: > In the query window's bottom-

From: Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
To: hushthatbush@hushmail.com
Cc: "pgadmin-support@postgresql.org" <pgadmin-support@postgresql.org>
Date: 01/19/2015 03:58 AM
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Is the "x ms" info reliable?
Sent by: pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:13 PM,  <hushthatbush@hushmail.com> wrote:
> In the query window's bottom-right corner, after running a query, it says
> how long it took. It's ambiguous how exactly this is is calculated. It seems
> to not take into account the lag from the slow-ass SSH tunnel.
>
> Basically, I wanna know how fast the command *actually* is. Not how long it
> took to run and then get delivered to pgAdmin via the incredibly sluggish
> SSH tunnel. The actual, in-app query is run on the same machine, and should
> be much, much faster.
>
> Is it possible to get this "real time" rather than the "pointless time"?

It's not "pointless time", it's the time taken to execute the query
and for libpq to tell pgAdmin it's done. That is typically what people
want when developing queries that are used in other apps - they need
to see how fast PostgreSQL actually executed it, but not the amount of
time taken to transfer the data to the client which can vary wildly
from client app to client app, especially if running through an SSH
tunnel.

--
Dave Page
Blog: