Re: Lots of memory allocated when reassigning Large Objects

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: Lots of memory allocated when reassigning Large Objects
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Le lun. 29 nov. 2021 à 20:39, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> a écrit :
Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> writes:
> I've tried Justin's patch but it didn't help with my memory allocation
> issue. FWIW, I attach the patch I used in v14.

[ looks closer ... ]  Ah, that patch is a bit buggy: it fails to do the
right thing in the cases where the loop does a "continue".  The attached
revision seems to behave properly.

I still see a small leakage, which I think is due to accumulation of
pending sinval messages for the catalog updates.  I'm curious whether
that's big enough to be a problem for Guillaume's use case.  (We've
speculated before about bounding the memory used for pending sinval
in favor of just issuing a cache reset when the list would be too
big.  But nobody's done anything about it, suggesting that people
seldom have a problem in practice.)

I've tried your patch with my test case. It still uses a lot of memory. Actually even more.

I have this with the log_statement_stats:

1185072 kB max resident size

And I have this with the log-memory-contexts function:

LOG:  Grand total: 1007796352 bytes in 320 blocks; 3453512 free (627 chunks); 1004342840 used

Contrary to Justin's patch, the shdepReassignOwned doesn't seem to be used. I don't get any shdepReassignOwned line in the log file. I tried multiple times to avoid any mistake on my part, but got same result.

>> DROP OWNED BY likely has similar issues.

> Didn't try it, but it wouldn't be a surprise.

I tried just changing the REASSIGN to a DROP in Justin's example,
and immediately hit

ERROR:  out of shared memory
HINT:  You might need to increase max_locks_per_transaction.

thanks to the per-object locks we try to acquire.  So I'm not
sure that the DROP case can reach an interesting amount of
local memory leaked before it runs out of lock-table space.

I've hit the same issue when I tried my ALTER LARGE OBJECT workaround in one transaction.

--
Guillaume.