Re: CREATE INDEX uses INDEX ?

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: CREATE INDEX uses INDEX ?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Thanks.

Then,
Is it a good idea to run multiple instance of "create index on tableX" on the same time ? Or is it better to do it sequentially ?
In other words : Can one seq scan on a table  benefit to multiple create index stmt on that table ?

It usually is a good idea to parallelize index creation. That's one of the good things that pg_restore does since the 8.4 release.

Nicolas PARIS

Le 7 mars 2015 11:32, "Nicolas Paris" <niparisco@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I wonder if the process of index creation can benefit from other indexes.

It cannot.

> EG: Creating a partial index with predicat based on a boolean column, will use an hypothetic index on that boolean column or always use a seq scan on all rows ?

Nope, it always does a seqscan.

> Goal is to create partial indexes faster.
>
> Explain command does not work with Create index.

You cannot use EXPLAIN on most DDL commands.