Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
don'tmind which one we put in core and which one we put out of<br /> >> core. But I like Joshua's idea of getting
/>><br /> > I like the contrib directory as a living example of "how to do an extension" directly available in
thesource tree. It also allows to test in-tree that the extension mechanism works. So I think it should be kept at
leastwith a minimum set of dummy examples for this purpose, even if all current extensions are moved out.<br /> ><p
dir="ltr">Agreed.<pdir="ltr">> Also, removing a feature is a regression, and someone is always bound to complain...
Whatis the real benefit? ISTM that it is a solution that fixes no important problem. Reaching a consensus about what to
movehere or there will consume valuable time that could be spent on more important tasks... Is it worth it?<br />
><pdir="ltr">It would be less confusing for users. Contrib modules seem to be first class extensions, leaving doubt
onother extensions. But the fact they aren't in core make them not fully trusted by some users. Trying to explain all
thatin a training is a PITA. It would be much less confusing if they were either in core or in their own repository.<p
dir="ltr">>Also moving things into postgresql main sources makes pg heavier for all and benefits only to some, so I
thinkthat some careful filtering must be done bevore moving large contribs there. I guess this is part of the
argumentation.<br/> ><p dir="ltr">Agreed.

От: Guillaume Lelarge
Сообщение: Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely