Re: Importing large object (with lo_import) to table in separate tablespaces takes up lots of space in $PGDATA

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: Importing large object (with lo_import) to table in separate tablespaces takes up lots of space in $PGDATA
Дата
Ответ на Importing large object (with lo_import) to table in separate tablespaces takes up lots of space in $PGDATA  (Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com>)
Ответы Re: Importing large object (with lo_import) to table in separate tablespaces takes up lots of space in $PGDATA  (Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com>)
Список pgsql-general

Hi,

Le 9 oct. 2014 01:31, "Andreas Joseph Krogh" <andreas@visena.com> a écrit :

> Hi all.
>
> I'm having a database, called "apeland", which at first (when created) was in the default-tablespace (in $PGDATA), then I moved it with the commands:
>
> # create tablespace apeland location '/home/andreak/programs/postgresql/9.3.5/tablespaces/apeland';
> CREATE TABLESPACE
>
> Check space-usage before moving:
> $ du -hs data/ tablespaces/
> 59M     data/
> 27M     tablespaces/
>
> Move the database to new tablespace
> # alter database apeland set tablespace apeland;
> ALTER DATABASE
>
> Check space-usage after moving:
> $ du -hs data/ tablespaces/
> 52M     data/
> 34M     tablespaces/
>

> Then I created this table:
> # create table files(data oid);
> CREATE TABLE
>
> Insert this file:
> $ du -hs origo-war-01-14-01.20.war
> 130M    origo-war-01-14-01.20.war
>
> # insert into files(data) values(lo_import('/home/andreak/data/origo-war-01-14-01.20.war'));
> INSERT 0 1
>
> Check space-usage:
> $ du -hs data/ tablespaces/
> 164M    data/
> 208M    tablespaces/
>
> Now - why is so much extra space used in $PGDATA? Is there a way to reclame it? Was the "apeland"-db moved completely or is there lots dangeling left in PGDATA?

Everything is moved if you used ALTER DATABASE.

I'd guess what you have in the data folder are mostly WAL files. You should use du on data/base to get size from relations' files, and not everything else including configuration files.