Restricting certain users from accessing PUBLIC resources

От Peter Wright
Тема Restricting certain users from accessing PUBLIC resources
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I develop solutions for a third-party accounting application that uses PostgreSQL.
Those solutions often use an ODBC connection to the database.

The application design has given PUBLIC access to all the tables.  I want to create my own postgres users that only have access to certain tables.  I don't want to make changes to the settings of the applications native tables.

I suspect it's not possible.  I have tested the accounting application and it still seems to function if I remove this PUBLIC access to certain tables.  The application creates its own user IDs for its own internal use of the database.

If I can't solve this problem, then if I had a compelling reason why this practice of giving PUBLIC access to all the data is inherently less secure, they may make changes to this.  Any documented 'best practices' that addressed this would be helpful.

Peter