Re: Can a long running procedure detect when smart shutdown is pending?

От Dennis White
Тема Re: Can a long running procedure detect when smart shutdown is pending?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks everyone. A more direct way to check via a sql function would be better but I suppose the dblink extension method will work.

Thanks again,
Dennis

On Sat, Jul 6, 2024 at 9:38 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> On Fri, 2024-07-05 at 14:12 -0400, Dennis White wrote:
>> My project's DB has a mutli-step stored procedure using Transaction Control that may take 30 minutes or more to complete.
>> I am curious if there is a way to make it more smart shutdown friendly so it can stop between steps?

> I don't think there is a direct way to do that in SQL; that would require a new
> system function that exposes canAcceptConnections() in SQL.

It's worse than that: the state variables involved are local to the
postmaster, so you wouldn't get the right answer in a backend even
if the function were reachable.

> What you could do is use the dblink extension to connect to the local database.
> If you get an error "the database system is shutting down", there is a smart
> shutdown in progress.

This'd probably work.  Ugly, but ...