Re: Make mesage at end-of-recovery less scary.

От Ashutosh Sharma
Тема Re: Make mesage at end-of-recovery less scary.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 7:52 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> At Mon, 14 Feb 2022 20:14:11 +0530, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> wrote in
> > No, I haven't tried to compare archive recovery to PITR or vice versa,
> > instead I was trying to compare crash recovery with PITR. The message
> > you're emitting says just before entering into the archive recovery is
> > - "reached end-of-WAL on ... in pg_wal *during crash recovery*,
> > entering archive recovery".  This message is static and can be emitted
> > not only during crash recovery, but also during PITR. I think we can
>
> No. It is emitted *only* after crash recovery before starting archive
> recovery.  Another message this patch adds can be emitted after PITR
> or archive recovery.
>
> > not only during crash recovery, but also during PITR. I think we can
> > remove the "during crash recovery" part from this message, so "reached
> > the end of WAL at %X/%X on timeline %u in %s, entering archive
>
> What makes you think it can be emitted after other than crash recovery?
> (Please look at the code comment just above.)

Yep that's right. We won't be coming here in case of pitr.

> > recovery". Also I don't think we need format specifier %s here, it can
> > be hard-coded with pg_wal as in this case we can only enter archive
> > recovery after reading wal from pg_wal, so current WAL source has to
> > be pg_wal, isn't it?
>
> You're right that it can't be other than pg_wal.  It was changed just
> in accordance woth another message this patch adds and it would be a
> matter of taste.  I replaced to "pg_wal" in this version.

OK. I have verified the changes.

> > Thanks for the changes. Please note that I am not able to apply the
> > latest patch on HEAD. Could you please rebase it on HEAD and share the
> > new version. Thank you.
>
> A change on TAP script hit this.  The v13 attached is:

OK. The v13 patch looks good. I have marked it as ready to commit.
Thank you for working on all my review comments.

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma.