Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display

От Ashutosh Sharma
Тема Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 6:07 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
On 2021-Nov-10, Bossart, Nathan wrote:

> On 11/10/21, 9:43 AM, "Bharath Rupireddy" <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As discussed in [1], isn't it a better idea to add some of activity
> > messages [2] such as recovery, archive, backup, streaming etc. to
> > server logs at LOG level?

> I think this would make the logs far too noisy for many servers.  For
> archiving alone, this could cause tens of thousands more log messages
> per hour on a busy system.  I think you can already see such
> information at a debug level, anyway.

Yeah.  If we had some sort of ring buffer in which to store these
messages, the user could examine them through a view; they would still
be accessible in a running server, but they would not be written to the
server log.

That's a good idea. How about also adding some GUC(s) to the log archive, recovery related log messages just like we have for checkpoints, autovacuum etc? Maybe something like log_archive, log_recovery etc.

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma.