Re: ON SELECT rule on a table without columns

От Ashutosh Sharma
Тема Re: ON SELECT rule on a table without columns
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 11:32 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> writes:
> > Attached is the patch that allows us to create view on a table without
> > columns. I've also added some test-cases for it in create_view.sql.
> > Please have a look and let me know your opinion.
>
> Haven't read the patch, but a question seems in order here: should
> we regard this as a back-patchable bug fix?  The original example
> shows that it's possible to create a zero-column view in existing
> releases, which I believe would then lead to dump/reload failures.
> So that seems to qualify as a bug not just a missing feature.
> On the other hand, given the lack of field complaints, maybe it's
> not worth the trouble to back-patch.  I don't have a strong
> opinion either way.

In my opinion, this looks like a bug fix that needs to be back ported,
else, we might encounter dump/restore failure in some cases, like the
one described in the first email.

> BTW, has anyone checked on what the matview code paths will do?
> Or SELECT INTO?

I just checked on that and found that both mat view and SELECT INTO
statement works like CREATE TABLE AS command and it doesn't really
care about the target list of the source table unlike normal views
which would error out when the source table has no columns.

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma