Re: PostgreSQL 11 Press Release Feedback

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 11 Press Release Feedback
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Hi Amit,

On Aug 22, 2018, at 9:12 PM, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for working on this.

On 2018/08/23 0:40, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
Hi,

As we have recently released PostgreSQL 11 Beta 3, the time to releasing
PostgreSQL 11 is drawing near. I wanted to share with you a draft of the
proposed press release to solicit *constructive* feedback, specifically looking
for:

- Grammatical mistakes / typos / awkward + unclear language
- Technical inaccuracies
- Suggestions for missing features that should be highlighted
- Quotes - you can see there are lots of room for them ;-)

Please bear in mind that the release is targeted towards the users of
PostgreSQL, the vast majority of whom do not post to the mailing lists, and the
principle idea behind the language is to help clearly explain why one should
upgrade, if not use, PostgreSQL 11 and how to utilize the new features
available. For many people, this is their only viewpoint into whats in the
release, so let's make sure it makes them excited about using PostgreSQL!

If you wish to provide feedback, please send it no later than Aug 31, 2018.
After that, the draft will need to be finalized (barring changes from -hackers
on which features are included).

If you wish to provide a quote, please send an
email to press@postgresql.org with your name, organization, and the quote.

Below is a copy of the press release draft:

About the following:

"PostgreSQL 11 also supports partitioned tables that utilize the
PostgreSQL foreign data wrapper,
[postgres_fdw](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/postgres-fdw.html),
enabling users to combine partitioning with data federation techniques."

Just to clarify, we support partitioned tables containing partitions that
utilize FDWs even in PostgreSQL 10 [1].  Although, they were not handled
by tuple routing, so offered limited functionality as partitions.
PostgreSQL 11 fixed that limitation, which makes them more useful.

Thanks for the clarification! Would something like “PostgreSQL 11 _provides better
support for_…” work better?

Jonathan

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 11 Press Release Feedback
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 11 Press Release Feedback