Re: Constraint documentation

От Pantelis Theodosiou
Тема Re: Constraint documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:32 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2018-Aug-07, Lætitia Avrot wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I understand what you're pointing at and I agree that it could be a good
> thing to be able to dump/restore a table without problem.
>
> My point was that check constraints weren't supposed to be used that way
> theorically (or maybe i'm mistaken ?) so I thought maybe we should just
> inform the user that this kind of use of a check constraint is a misuse of
> that feature.

Tom Lane pointed out in another thread that the SQL standard lists
feature F673 "Reads SQL-data routine invocations in CHECK constraints"
which permits CHECK constraints to examine tables, so saying "you're not
supposed to do this", while correct from a Postgres perspective, would
be short-sighted ISTM, because we will make ourselves liars as soon as
we implement the feature.

I agree that we should point this out in *some* way, just not sure how.
Maybe something like "Postgres does not currently support CHECK
constraints containing queries, therefore we recommend to avoid them."
I would not mention pg_dump by name, just say dumps may not restore
depending on phase of moon.

(BTW I'm not sure of the term "other tables".  You could have a query
that references the same table ...)

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

I like this:

> "Postgres does not currently support CHECK constraints containing queries, therefore we recommend to avoid them."

Perhaps adding:

> CHECK constraints are currently meant to be used as row constraints only.
> Use - if possible - UNIQUE or EXCLUDE constraints. for constraints that involve many or all rows of a table,
> and FOREIGN KEY constraints for cross table constraints.
> More complex constraints will be available when ASSERTION are implemented.

And then adding some warning about using functions in CHECK constraints to bypass current limitations.

Pantelis Theodsoiou