Re: BUG #17085: Should be able to create an index without referential checking when ON DELETE NO ACTION

От Pantelis Theodosiou
Тема Re: BUG #17085: Should be able to create an index without referential checking when ON DELETE NO ACTION
Дата
Ответ на Re: BUG #17085: Should be able to create an index without referential checking when ON DELETE NO ACTION  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Ответы Re: BUG #17085: Should be able to create an index without referential checking when ON DELETE NO ACTION  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 12:32 AM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:29 PM PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      17085
Logged by:          Victor Porton
Email address:      porton@narod.ru
PostgreSQL version: 13.3
Operating system:   Linux

When there is either ON DELETE NO ACTION or ON UPDATE NO ACTION for a
foreign key, referential integrity is not preserved anyway.

Yes, it is preserved, the delete or update is prevented.

Therefore in this case ALTER TABLE should  be able to create an index
without referential checking.

Indexes are single table only and thus do not care about referential integrity or perform any referential checking.

It is especially useful for removing superfluous data like:

delete from tags using transactions where not exists(select * from
transactions where tags.tx_id=transactions.id);

I've got into a trouble: This command runs too long because of no foreign
key, but I can't create a foreign key because this command didn't run yet to
make referntial integrity working.

Foreign keys likewise don't affect performance...they are strictly concerned with data updates.  Now, a FK column is not indexed by default so depending on how queries are written, and the data in for the FK, there may be a performance gain from adding an index.

All that is to say if you want to turn a non-FK column into an FK you may find it helpful to add the index first, fix the data, then add the FK.

David J.

Besides all the good advice by David J., your delete statement has some issues because it's written more complex than it could.
Transactions is referenced twice, once without correlation and secondly with correlation.
As a result, if transactions has 0 rows, the statement would delete no rows at all from tags (although I suppose you'd want to delete them all).
And if transactions is big enough, you may not get an efficient plan.

I suggest you try using this rewrite (besides adding the suggested index):

delete from tags
where not exists (select * from
transactions where tags.tx_id=transactions.id);

Pantelis

Сообщение: Re: BUG #17085: Should be able to create an index without referential checking when ON DELETE NO ACTION
Сообщение: Re: BUG #17085: Should be able to create an index without referential checking when ON DELETE NO ACTION