Re: When starting postgres, it hangs like it is still connected to stdout

От Susan Cassidy
Тема Re: When starting postgres, it hangs like it is still connected to stdout
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The initdb command said I could use that command, but pg_ctl works fine now.  I should have tried that before.  I have always used pg_ctl in the past, don't know why I just went with the postgres command.

Thanks,
Susan

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Shaun Thomas <sthomas@optionshouse.com> wrote:
> When I start postgres using postgres -D $PGDATA, it hangs, and I see that
> postgres and all the other attendant processes are running, but I never
> get my prompt back.

Don't start PostgreSQL with the 'postgres' command. That's the name of the actual server process. You want to use the control script, normally named pg_ctl. You call it like this:

pg_ctl -D $PGDATA start

Stop it like this:

pg_ctl -D $PGDATA stop