Re: Fwd: PG12 autovac issues

От Justin King
Тема Re: Fwd: PG12 autovac issues
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 5:39 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

> On 3/17/20 3:22 PM, Justin King wrote:
> > Apologies, I accidentally sent this to the pgsql-admin list initially
> > but intended it go here:
> >
> > We have a database that isn't overly large (~20G), but gets incredibly
> > frequent updates.  Here's an example table:
> >
> > feedi=# select * from pg_stat_all_tables where schemaname =
> > 'production' and relname = 'tita';
> > relid = 16786
> > schemaname = production
> > relname = tita
> > seq_scan = 23365
> > seq_tup_read = 403862091
> > idx_scan = 26612759248
> > idx_tup_fetch = 19415752701
> > n_tup_ins = 24608806
> > n_tup_upd = 4207076934
> > n_tup_del = 24566916
> > n_tup_hot_upd = 4073821079
> > n_live_tup = 79942
> > n_dead_tup = 71969
> > n_mod_since_analyze = 12020
> > last_vacuum = 2020-03-17 15:35:19.588859+00
> > last_autovacuum = 2020-03-17 21:31:08.248598+00
> > last_analyze = 2020-03-17 15:35:20.372875+00
> > last_autoanalyze = 2020-03-17 22:04:41.76743+00
> > vacuum_count = 9
> > autovacuum_count = 135693
> > analyze_count = 9
> > autoanalyze_count = 495877
> >
> > As you can see in this table, there are only ~80K rows, but billions
> > of updates.  What we have observed is that the frozenxid reaches the
> > 200M mark fairly quickly because of the amount of activity.  What is
> > interesting is that this happens with the 'postgres' and 'template1'
> > databases as well and there is absolutely no activity in those
> > databases.
> >
> > When the 'postgres' and/or 'template1' databases hit the
> > freeze_max_age, there are cases where it kicks off an aggressive
> > autovac of those tables which seems to prevent autovacs from running
> > elsewhere.  Oddly, this is not consistent, but that condition seems to
> > be required.  We have observed this across multiple PG12 servers (dev,
> > test, staging, production) all with similar workloads.
>
> Is there anything in postgres and template1 besides what was created at
> init?

There is nothing in there at all besides system tables created at init.

> What are your settings for autovacuum?:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/runtime-config-autovacuum.html

Here are the settings, these are the only ones that are not set to
default with the exception of a few tables that have been overridden
with a different value due to lots of updates and few rows:

autovacuum = on
log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0
autovacuum_max_workers = 8
autovacuum_naptime = 15s
autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 500
autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 2500
vacuum_cost_limit = 1000

We want fairly aggressive autovacs to keep table bloat limited -- the
application latency suffers if it has to wade through dead tuples and
staying near realtime is important in our environment.

** Also, it should be noted that the autovacuum_analyze_threshold is
probably an incorrect value, we likely intended that to be 250 and
just have now realized it after poking more at the configuration.