Re: Custom column ordering

От Emre Hasegeli
Тема Re: Custom column ordering
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>   - Why is PostgreSQL not using the functional index I created and why is it
> not being ordered correctly?

Your example works for me:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  Index Scan Backward using idx_device_port_port_proper on device_port  (cost=0.15..408.55 rows=1360 width=32) (actual
time=0.042..0.053rows=3 loops=1)
>  Planning time: 0.079 ms
>  Execution time: 0.079 ms
> (3 rows)

>   - Is creating a separate data type and using a functional index on the
> casts to this data type the right approach to a custom ordering?

You don't need to create a type for this.  You can just create a
non-default operator class and use it with your text type by specify
the operator with ORDER BY ... USING clause.

> Creating the index:
> CREATE INDEX idx_device_port_port_proper on device_port (cast_to_port(port) port_ops desc);

The operator class is not necessary in here as it is the default for
the "port" type.  DESC also wouldn't make any difference.