Re: [HACKERS] Floating point comparison inconsistencies of thegeometric types

От Emre Hasegeli
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Floating point comparison inconsistencies of thegeometric types
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Floating point comparison inconsistencies of thegeometric types  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Even though I'm not sure but I don't see a "natural" (or
> agreeable by many poeple) ordering of geometric types in
> general. Anyway it's quite application (not application program
> but the relationship with the real world) specific.

We can just define it for point as "ORDER BY point.x, point.y".

> What we should not forget is that PostGIS does the same thing and
> it is widly used (I believe..). This means it not broken at least
> on a certain context. But it is a fact that it also quite
> inconvenient to get performance from, say, indexes.

I understand from Paul Ramsey's email [1] on this thread that PostGIS
doesn't currently have a tolerance.

> Yeah, the EPSILON is mere a fuzz factor so we cannot expect any
> kind of stable behavior for differences under the level. But on
> the analogy of comparisons of floating point numbers, I suppose
> that inequality comparison could be done without the tolerance.

What do you mean exactly?

>> > Whether EPSILON is introduced or not, commutativity cannot be
>> > assured for it from calculation error, I suppose.
>>
>> It can easily be assured by treating both sides of the operator the
>> same.  It is actually assured on my patch.
>
> It surely holds for certain cases. Even how many applicable cases
> we guess, finally we cannot proof that it works generally. Just
> three times of 1/3 rotation breakes it.

It is a different story.  We cannot talk about commutative property of
rotation function that we currently don't have, because it would be an
asymmetrical operator.

The parallel operator is currently marked as commutative.  The planner
is free to switch the sides of the operation.  Therefore this is not
only a surprise, but a bug.

> Hmm, I have nothing more to say if you don't agree that floating
> point numbers involving any kind of arithmetic is hardly
> deterministic especially not defining its usage.

The floating point results are not random.  There are certain
guarantees.  The transitive property of equality is one of them.  Our
aim should be making things easier for our users by providing more
guarantees not breaking what is already there.

> The world of the geometric types in PostgreSQL *is* built
> so. There is nothing different with that Windows client can make
> different results from PostgreSQL on a Linux server for a simple
> floating point arithmetics, or even different binaries made by
> different version of compilers on the same platoform can. Relying
> on such coherency by accident is a bad policy.

Yes, the results are not portable.  We should only rely on the results
being stable on the same build.  The epsilon doesn't cure this
problem.  It arguably makes it worse.

> PostGIS or libgeos seems to prove it. They are designed exactly
> for this purpose and actually used.

Yes, PostGIS is a GIS application.  We are not.  Geometric types name
suggests to me them being useful for general purpose.

> So, the union of the two requirements seems to be having such
> parameter as a GUC.

That sounds doable to me.  We can use this opportunity to make all
operators consistent.  So the epsilon would apply to the ones that it
current is not.  We can still add btree and hash opclasses, and make
them give an error when this GUC is not 0.  We can even make this or
another GUC apply to floats making whole system more consistent.

Though, I know the community is against behaviour changing GUCs.  I
will not spend more time on this, before I get positive feedback from
others.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CACowWR0DBEjCfBscKKumdRLJUkObjB7D%3Diw7-0_ZwSFJM9_gpw%40mail.gmail.com