Re: [HACKERS] Funny WAL corruption issue

От Vladimir Rusinov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Funny WAL corruption issue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Aleksander Alekseev <a.alekseev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
I just wanted to point out that a hardware issue or third party software
issues (bugs in FS, software RAID, ...) could not be fully excluded from
the list of suspects. According to the talk by Christophe Pettus [1]
it's not that uncommon as most people think.

This still might be the case of hardware corruption, but it does not look like one.

Likelihood of two different persons seeing similar error message just a year apart is low. From our practice hardware corruption usually looks like a random single bit flip (most common - bad cpu or memory), bunch of zeroes (bad storage), or bunch of complete garbage (usually indicates in-memory pointer corruption).

Chris, if you still have original WAL segment from the master and it's corrupt copy from standby, can you do bit-by-bit comparison to see how they are different? Also, if you can please share some hardware details. Specifically, do you use ECC? If so, are there any ECC errors logged? Do you use physical disks/ssd or some form of storage virtualization?

Also, in absolute majority of cases corruption is caught by checksums. I am not familiar with WAL protocol - do we have enough checksums when writing it out and on the wire? I suspect there are much more things PostgreSQL can do to be more resilient, and at least detect corruptions earlier.

--
Vladimir Rusinov
PostgreSQL SRE, Google Ireland

Google Ireland Ltd.,Gordon House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland
Registered in Dublin, Ireland
Registration Number: 368047