Re: [RFC] Interface of Row Level Security

От Kohei KaiGai
Тема Re: [RFC] Interface of Row Level Security
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I'd like to summarize the current design being discussed.

syntax: ALTER TABLE <tblname> WITH ROW LEVEL SECURITY     ( <condition clause> ) [FOR (SELECT | UPDATE | DELETE)];
ALTERTABLE <tblname> WITHOUT ROW LEVEL SECURITY;

I tried to patch the parser/gram.y, but here was syntax conflicts
on ADD / DROP sub-command.
And, I noticed "ROW LEVEL SECURITY" allows to implement
without adding new keyword, unlike "SECURITY POLICY".

As we discussed, it causes a problem with approach to append
additional qualifiers to where clause implicitly, because it does
not solve the matter corresponding to the order to execute
qualifiers. So, I'm inclined to the approach to replace reference
to tables with security policy by sub-queries with security barrier
flag.
For example, if "tbl" has security policy, this query shall be rewritten
internally, as follows:

original) SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE X > 20 AND f_leak(Y);

rewritten) SELECT * FROM (   SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE uname = getpgusername() ) AS tbl_subqry WHERE X > 20 AND
f_leak(Y);

The sub-query shall have security-barrier flag, so f_leak() is never
pushed down but X > 20 will be pushed down because of leakproof
attribute of the function.

It is a bit complex at UPDATE or DELETE statement, but
what I try to do is same.
 original)   UPDATE tbl SET X = X + 1 WHERE X > 20 AND f_leak(Y);
 rewritten)   UPDATE tbl SET X = X + 1 WHERE ctid = (       SELECT ctid FROM (           SELECT ctid, * FROM uname =
getpgusername()      ) AS tbl_subqry WHERE X > 20 AND f_leak(Y)   );

That guarantees the security policy ("uname = getpgusername()")
is evaluated prior to user given conditions.

One thing still I'm thinking is whether the security policy should
be provided as a function or a clause. Enough simple sql function
is inlined at simplify_function(), so here is no meaningful difference.
I was afraid of code complexity, but all we should do is to append
configured clause on the where clause of sub-query inside.

|  ALTER TABLE <tblname> WITH ROW LEVEL SECURITY
|      ( <condition clause> ) [FOR (SELECT | UPDATE | DELETE)];

So, I tried to put "condition clause" instead of a function, right now.

Regarding to FK constraints, I don't think it is a situation to
apply row-level security policy towards internal queries.
So, I plan to disable during FK checks.

One other issue we didn't have discussed is table inheritance.
In case when a table TBLP has a child table TBLC and only
TBLC has its security policy, what security policy should be
applied when we run "SELECT * FROM TBLP".
My preference is, the security policy is only applied to scan on
TBLC, not TBLP. It is not desirable behavior that visible tuples
are different from way to reference a certain table.
In addition, if and when TBLP and TBLC have their own policy
individually, what is a desirable behavior?
I think, the security policy of both TBLP and TBLC should be
applied on TBLC; in other words, it applies the security policy
of all the parent tables to scan on child table.

Any comments please. Thanks,

--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp>

Сообщение: Re: "could not open relation with OID" errors after promoting the standby to master
Сообщение: Re: "could not open relation with OID" errors after promoting the standby to master