Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)

От Kohei KaiGai
Тема Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> That's nice, but 9.5 feature freeze is only a week away.  I don't have a
>>> lot of confidence that this stuff is actually in a state where we won't
>>> regret shipping it in 9.5.
>
>> Yeah.  The POC you were asking for upthread certainly exists and has
>> for a while, or I would not have committed this.  But I do not think
>> it likely that the  postgres_fdw support will be ready for 9.5.
>
> Well, we have two alternatives.  I can keep hacking on this and get it
> to a state where it seems credible to me, but we won't have any proof
> that it actually works (though perhaps we could treat any problems
> as bugs that should hopefully get found before 9.5 ships, if a
> postgres_fdw patch shows up in the next few months).  Or we could
> revert the whole thing and bounce it to the 9.6 cycle.  I don't really
> like doing the latter, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with committing to
> published FDW APIs that are (a) as messy as this and (b) practically
> untested.  The odds that something slipped through the cracks are high.
>
> Aside from the other gripes I raised, I'm exceedingly unhappy with the
> ad-hoc APIs proposed for GetForeignJoinPaths and set_join_pathlist_hook.
> It's okay for internal calls in joinpath.c to look like that, but
> exporting that set of parameters seems like pure folly.  We've changed
> those parameter lists repeatedly (for instance in 9.2 and again in 9.3);
> the odds that they'll need to change again in future approach 100%.
>
> One way we could reduce the risk of code breakage there is to stuff all
> or most of those parameters into a struct.  This might result in a small
> slowdown for the internal calls, or then again maybe not --- there
> probably aren't many architectures that can pass 10 parameters in
> registers anyway.

Is it like a following structure definition?
 typedef struct {   PlannerInfo *root;   RelOptInfo *joinrel;   RelOptInfo *outerrel;   RelOptInfo *innerrel;   List
*restrictlist;  JoinType jointype;   SpecialJoinInfo *sjinfo;   SemiAntiJoinFactors *semifactors;   Relids
param_source_rels;  Relids extra_lateral_rels; } SetJoinPathListArgs;

I agree the idea. It also helps CSP driver implementation where it calls
next driver that was already chained on its installation.
 if (set_join_pathlist_next)     set_join_pathlist_next(args);

is more stable manner than
 if (set_join_pathlist_next)     set_join_pathlist_next(root,                                      joinrel,
                        outerrel,                                      innerrel,
restrictlist,                                     jointype,                                      sjinfo,
                     semifactors,                                      param_source_rels,
      extra_lateral_rels);

Thanks,
--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp>

От: Kohei KaiGai
Сообщение: Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: initdb -S and tablespaces