Re: Fwd: [HACKERS] client performance v.s. server statistics

От Han Zhou
Тема Re: Fwd: [HACKERS] client performance v.s. server statistics
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Andres,

Good hint!

DBRNWHSB=# COPY (SELECT * FROM my_large) TO '/tmp/somefile';
COPY 73728
Time: 1405.976 ms
DBRNWHSB=# COPY (SELECT * FROM my_large) TO '/tmp/somefile_binary' BINARY ;
COPY 73728
Time: 840.987 ms
DBRNWHSB=# EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM my_large;
                                                   QUERY PLAN
 Seq Scan on my_large  (cost=0.00..1723.78 rows=80678 width=59)
(actual time=0.036..114.400 rows=73728 loops=1)
 Total runtime: 171.561 ms
(2 rows)

Time: 172.523 ms
DBRNWHSB=# SELECT * FROM my_large;
Time: 1513.274 ms

In this test the record number is 73728, each with tens of bytes. The
size of somefile is 5,455,872, and the size of somefile_binary is even
more: 6,782,997. However, BINARY COPY to memory file costs lower, so
it means something else, e.g. result preparing is taking CPU time. But
even the BINARY COPY still takes much more time than the ANALYZE:
840ms v.s. 172ms. So I guess most time is spent in preparing +
transferring result in backend, and this part of time is not counted
in the ANALYZE or pg_stat_statement statistics.

If this assumption is true, then is it possible to optimise towards
the result preparing and transferring in backend? Or is there any
"bulk" output operation already supported in some existing PostgreSQL
options?

Best regards,
Han

--
Best regards,
Han

Сообщение: Re: Optimizer is not choosing index
Сообщение: Re: Optimizer is not choosing index