Re: Minor version upgrades and extension packaging

От Mat Arye
Тема Re: Minor version upgrades and extension packaging
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 8:41 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2/11/18 23:14, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2018-02-11 22:19:30 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Not sure what to do about it at this point.  We could move that field to
>> the end for 10.3, leaving 10.2 as the only ABI-incompatible minor release,
>> but I don't know that that really makes things any better than leaving it
>> as-is.  Somewhere around the dot-two minor release is where uptake of a
>> new PG branch starts to become significant, IME, so preserving ABI
>> compatibility going forward from 10.2 might be more useful than preserving
>> it against 10.0/10.1.
>
> Yea, I think the damage is done in this case, and we shouldn't make
> things even more complicated.

Yeah, lesson learned.  Sorry.

Thanks all for your responses. FWIW I agree that it's best to not revert this struct change and just keep ABI compatibility with 10.2 going forward. We will also integrate testing against the tip of 10 nightly going forward so that we can hopefully catch and report such issues early.

Thanks again,
Mat