Re: What Causes Access Exclusive Lock?

От Sameer Kumar
Тема Re: What Causes Access Exclusive Lock?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016, 6:23 a.m. Jeff Janes, <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2016, 1:47 a.m. Jeff Janes, <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just wanted to understand what are the commands which will acquire
>> > Access
>> > Exclusive Lock on a table? In my knowledge below operations will acquire
>> > access exclusive lock:-
>> >
>> > 1. VACUUM FULL
>> > 2. ALTER TABLE
>> > 3. DROP TABLE
>> > 4. TRUNCATE
>> > 5. REINDEX
>> > 6. LOCK command with Access Exclusive Mode (or no mode specified)
>> >
>> > I am using PostgreSQL v9.4.
>>
>> A regular VACUUM (not a FULL one), including autovac, will take an
>> ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock if it believes there are enough empty
>> (truncatable) pages at the end of the table to be worth truncating and
>> returning that storage to the OS. On master it will quickly abandon
>> the lock if it detects someone else wants it, but that does not work
>> on a standby.
>

> Thanks! This is helpful. I believe going by this explaination I can try to
> reproduce this issue manually.
>
> Is this part about regular vacuum acquiring an AccessExclusive Lock
> documented? I did not see a reference to it on page for Explicit Locking.

Not that I know of.  I don't think any part of the user documentation
attempts to make an exhaustive list of all actions which take which
level of locks.  It only provides some illustrative examples.

Thanks!
But is it something which is worth mentioning on the page about VACUUM?

Cheers,

Jeff
Best Regards
Sameer Kumar | DB Solution Architect
ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069 533

T: +65 6438 3504 | M: +65 8110 0350 | www.ashnik.com