Re: pg_dump from a hot standby replication slave

От Sameer Kumar
Тема Re: pg_dump from a hot standby replication slave
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, 4:03 a.m. Johan Thomsen, <johan@cellpointmobile.com> wrote:
Hi,

In relation to this thread:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/0B4197B9-5DB8-4475-A83C-38DA5965782A%40etasseo.com

> I ran the pg_dump process again this morning, ensuring that the standby
> parameters were set, and it completed successfully with the
> hot_standby_feedback enabled.

In case I were to set the hot_standby_feedback param to "on" at my
slave node for the _only_ reason that I would like to make a dump of a
database while replication is running, how would it affect the primary
node performance-wise?

In my understanding it might create some bloats but those should get cleaned eventually.
Though I think if you are using standby for read purpose, this parameter should be kept on.

Worth mentioning: I do not require the dumped data to be highly
up-to-date, I just need a static snapshot, knowing perfectly well that
data is updated continuously while dumping.

Are there perhaps other ways to perform a dump of a hot standby node
without affecting the primary node performance and without stopping or
pausing the replication?

Are you using archiving as well?
Consider using pg_basebackup to take physical backup of the standby.

Version: postgres (PostgreSQL) 9.2.2

Thank you in advance,

Regards,
Johan

--
Johan Thomsen

Best Regards
Sameer Kumar | DB Solution Architect
ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069 533

T: +65 6438 3504 | M: +65 8110 0350 | www.ashnik.com