Re: Legacy app not working with newer PG, is there a quick fix?

От Sameer Kumar
Тема Re: Legacy app not working with newer PG, is there a quick fix?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019, 11:40 PM Lars Gustafsson <gumse@me.com> wrote:
I have a legacy client java application that I try to run against a new Postgres server.
All data migrates as expected. Everything seems to work ok, except for one thing.

ERROR:  function to_date(timestamp without time zone, unknown) does not exist at character 9
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.

The application was written with and works with PG 8.2.3

I understand that from PG 8.3 explicit typecasting is necessary, like:
to_date(cast(createddate as TEXT),'YYYY-MM-DD’)

You could write a function say my_schema.to_date which essentially calls and returns output of pg_catalog.to_date(cast($1 as TEXT),'YYYY-MM-DD’)

In your config change the search path to give priority to the overridding function :

search_path=my_schema,pg_catalog

But remember that it is a bad hack and any expression index you have might not give you a benefit or might need to be rebuilt after these changes.

But I do not have access to the source code. Is there a way to go around this, by creating a macro & function to provide the type cast on the server side.
Without having to change anything in the client application?

Yes, as said above. But there would be a cost for it on performance side.

/Lars

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Senior Solution Architect

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

36 Robinson Road, #14-04 City House, Singapore 068877

T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

Skype: sameer.ashnik |   M: +65 8110 0350