Re: Master-slave failover question

От Sameer Kumar
Тема Re: Master-slave failover question
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:53 AM, Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 3:18 AM, Athanasios | ZenGuard
<athanasios@zenguard.org> wrote:
> Dear list,
> I hope that everyone has a nice holiday. Currently, I am researching
> master-slave automated promotion. I have one question. Let's assume that the
> clients connect to the master 192.168.1.1 for read/write traffic and I have
> a slave at 192.168.1.2. Assume that the master goes down and that slave gets
> promoted to a slave (this I have found out how to do automatically). How
> will the clients know to connect to the new master? Any ideas on this one?

One of the ideas, and BTW my favorite method, is to use PgBouncer to
redirect queries from master to slave with pause. The full description
of the process is by the link below.

https://github.com/grayhemp/pgcookbook/blob/master/switching_to_another_server_with_pgbouncer.md

I checked it out. Looks like the process involves manual identification of failure(?). But this is a nice method for manual switchovers.

As a suggestion, won't it be a good idea to run the pgbouncer on Application Server [so that even if the Master Server has to be shutdown, IP address changes or starting pgbouncer on slave is not needed]?

--
Kind regards,
Sergey Konoplev

http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
+1 (415) 867-9984, +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
gray.ru@gmail.com