Re: Index to help ordering?

От Sameer Kumar
Тема Re: Index to help ordering?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 4:47 AM, Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net> wrote:
--As of January 17, 2014 4:41:26 PM +0000, James David Smith is alleged to have said:

I have a table of some 100m rows of data. There are 5 columns of data.
When I want to look at this data I typically want to sort it by ppid
(numeric) an then by time (timestamp). This simple select can often
take 15-20 seconds. Would adding an index to these two columns make it
quicker? What is the best way to achieve increased speed for this
common select query?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

An index is likely to make it faster, although I wouldn't quite want to guarantee it.  (I assume you are pulling in all the data?  Otherwise an index on your *conditions* might make sense.  Sorting the data likely takes less time than retrieving all of it.)  Luckily enough it's easy to just try it and check.

Since we are working on that one query in specific, I'd probably create an index on those two columns, in that order: `CREATE INDEX ixd_name ON table (ppid, time)`.  I'm of course assuming that ppid's aren't unique.

But again, if you are retrieving the entire table this may not help - what would help more is to limit the number of records you are retrieving and put an index on that condition.  (Of course, if you are using LIMIT, then the index will definitely help.)

Daniel T. Staal

This email copyright the author.  Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes.  This copyright will
local copyright law.

In addition to what has been already said, CLUSTERing the table by given index could be of some more help.

Best Regards,
Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant
ASHNIK PTE. LTD.
101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533
M : +65 8110 0350 T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com
www.facebook.com/ashnikbiz | www.twitter.com/ashnikbiz

email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

Вложения