Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [PG-Advocacy] Is Oracle using Gitlab Failureagainst PostgreSQL?

От Sameer Kumar
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [PG-Advocacy] Is Oracle using Gitlab Failureagainst PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 4:03 PM Gunnar "Nick" Bluth <gunnar.bluth.extern@elster.de> wrote:
Am 02/10/2017 um 08:13 AM schrieb Sameer Kumar:
> Hi,
>
> I came across this post in LinkedIn. I am not easily annoyed but somehow
> this one has got my attention and not in a positive sense-
>
> https://www.linkedin.com/groups/77941/77941-6233195170771410945

That's a closed group AFAICS, and I'm not really feeling like dipping
into it just to get annoyed ;-/
Can you sum up what's going on in there?

This is what the post said-

"
Any thoughts on the Gitlab database incident? Seems like they were using the Free PostgreSQL database and some sort of replication that didnt work, and they were not able to restore the database from the replicated versions.

The question is, would this have happened if the Oracle database, Oracle Data Guard, Enterprise Manager monitoring of the Data Guard process, RMAN incremental backups of the datanbase, and RMAN backups of archive logs had been used? Interesting thought.

I just could not take it and felt an urge to reply -

"... It is bad configuration and bad practices (or rather lack of it)! ....... Remember that database is database - Oracle or PostgreSQL. It needs reliable infra and storage to ensure its own reliability. Now unless Oracle as a database can take SAN backup or take a RMAN backup while one was never configured, I don't think running Oracle would have made any difference
"

To my surprise and annoyance the poster replied back-
"... The point is Oracle has better DBA utilities, such as Data Guard and RMAN, out of the box when you install the Oracle binaries. PostgreSQL has no such utilities like Data Guard, so Gitlab relied on scripts and the command line ...... A PostgreSQL expert has pointed out that a third party tool Repmgr, which seems to work in the same way as the Oracle Data Guard Broker to reinitiate the standby at a higher level, could have avoided this issue.
"

> Question is, is there anything Postgres can really learn from this failure?

Maybe re-order the docs? From what they made public, it seemed they
either started backing up with a 7.x or early 8.x release and never
adjusted the procedure to the new possibilities (LVM snapshots?!?
Really?!?) or they stopped reading too early... :/

Regards,
--
Gunnar "Nick" Bluth
DBA ELSTER

Tel:   +49 911/991-4665
Mobil: +49 172/8853339

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | DB Solution Architect

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533

T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

Skype: sameer.ashnik |   T: +65 8110 0350

www.ashnik.com